Monday, July 1, 2013

running break and favorite healthy snack

Guten Morgen!

There was no run yesterday.
There was no run today.

My knee is being rude and not too cooperative, so I have no choice but to take it extra slow.
I thought I did an awesome job walking like a normal person, but somehow, it was discovered that something was off.

Source
No idea how.

Yesterday, Nick asked again, if we shouldn't sign up for the gym. He is absolutely right and it would be awesome to maintain training when I'm injured, working with weights, running on the treadmill when it's hot, having 24hr access, having a gym a 3 minute walk from our front door: but I am really stubborn when it comes to spending money.

So instead, I will be whining about not being able to go there.

Source

It makes a lot of sense to me.


I have told you before that Müsli is one of the keys to my survival.
When I moved to the U.S., there were many trips to grocery stores in several states to find this delicious healthy snack, but even if you are lucky to find some sort of Müsli, it either tastes like old cardboard, or is way out of my price range - yes, a lot of things are, but we are talking ridiculously overpriced here.

Then, after 3 years, it occurred to me that I could just mix my own! Please feel free to admire my quick thinking.

Source

I don't have any pictures of my creations, but I promise, I spent hours to find the prettiest creations I could steal online :o)

This is what I would for just the "base":

4 cups of old fashioned oats
1/4 cup of flax seeds
1/3 cup of pumpkin seeds (not salted)
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (not salted)
2-4 table spoons of chia seeds


Once you have this base, you can just play with it and turn your Müsli into whichever kind you like. 
Here are some ideas: 

Chocolate-Nut Müsli:
1 cup of chocolate chips (I prefer the dark kind, but either kind works)
1/2 cup of sliced almonds 
1/2 cup of walnuts (pistachios, or pieces of cashew nuts work really well, too)
1 cup of honey nut cereal
1 cup of raisins/ cranberries (you can also use chocolate covered raisins or cranberries)
2/3 cup chocolate rice crispies

I found this picture here

Fruit Müsli:
1 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of cranberries
1/4 cup of cut up dried figs
1/3 cup of dried bananas
1/4 cup of cut up dried apples
(any dried fruit will work! If you want to have a tropical mix: peach, mango, figs, dates, apples, and bananas work great together)
1/2 cup of plain corn flakes

Source


Yoghurt crunch Müsli:

1 cup of yoghurt covered raisins (or cranberries)
1/2-3/4 cup of rice crispies
1/2 cup of dried cranberries (or raisins)
1/2 cup of granola (any kind works)
1/3 cup of dried strawberries or raspberries (cut in very small pieces)

Source


You can play around with this! I would just always have a few small separate containers of the dry ingredients for my base and then have one big container for the Müsli. Once I am running out, I would just add whichever sweet ingredients (dried fruit, dark chocolate) I felt like and then create a new kind.

I prefer my Müsli in Yoghurt. Either I have it with plain yoghurt/ greek yoghurt and add fresh fruit (banana or cut up orange), or I just buy strawberry yoghurt and put it in there.

Here in Germany, many people love to eat their Müsli with just cold milk. My brothers would even use cold chocolate milk. Other people I know, prefer their Müsli with warm milk or they put it in their yoghurt the night before and have it just like overnight oats. This would be my second favorite way to eat it - if I had enough self control to not eat it after I mixed it together.

There is no need to add any sugar or anything and because all the ingredients are dry, it lasts for a few months (in theory, of course). Since it contains just whole grains, nuts, and dried fruit, it will keep you full for hours!


In other news:

Source
They got me on my forehead. Twice. 

What is your favorite healthy snack?

How do you protect yourself from mosquitos?

Dark chocolate, white chocolate, or milk chocolate? dark chocolate, but when I have covered raisins or m&ms, then definitely milk chocolate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment