Sunday, June 16, 2013

The greatest weekend

I know, I dropped off the face of the planet for the past two days, but there was good reason to.

We drove to see my parents on Saturday morning to celebrate my dad's and my brother's birthday.
I am not kidding you when I tell you that it has been five years that I was able to celebrate a birthday party with my family. Incredible, I know. Especially when considering that I have three brothers. In June 2008, I celebrated the birthday party of my then-still-much-younger brother with everyone and that was the last one. Until Saturday!

What made this past weekend even more special was that it was the very first time that Nick and I were able to be there for a family celebration together. Yes, we have been married for a few years already.

It was a big thing for all of us.

If you follow me on Instagram, you have already seen this wonderful picture I took while Nick was driving on the Autobahn like he has never done anything else.



Lucy was a trooper and braved getting back into her travel-house, which she has not used since she landed in Germany. Our fur-ball slept most of the way and just woke up for short periods of time to make sure we were still driving in the right direction.


Yep, still driving towards where we are going.

Thankfully, the weather was on our side and the sun decided to come out the second we drove into town!


Isn't this the prettiest backyard with the greatest cherry tree you have ever seen?!

There is nothing better than a family bbq in the backyard!
My mom is a true wizard when it comes to her yard. You wouldn't believe the flowers this woman is growing - not even speaking of the fruit and vegetables she is harvesting every year. I wish I was thoughtful enough to take pictures of everything. Just trust me when I say that it is a magical place.

In case you were wondering, yes, the fact that I can't even keep a cactus alive while my mom is growing a little paradise does put me to shame.

Needless to say, we didn't waste any time and started right away to eat as much food as possible.
Most importantly, Nick was assured that we do have bbqs in Germany. And they are edible.


Lucy had the time of her life! She partied so hard yesterday that today, she has done nothing but sleep (and eat).



She was particularly fond of this little Spongebob ball. (Did you know that the little yellow guy is called Spongebob "Schwammkopf"(= sponge head). Yes, this means that it would be Spongebob Sponge Head. Makes sense, no?)

Nick and I know how to pose for awesome family pictures.  
Do you want to see what else we did for the past two days?

We ate bowls of this:

Yes, all those berries in the pudding are from
my mom's yard and that is vanilla sauce she made.
And we ate this:
peaches and raspberries covered in cream and topped with brown sugar


And then there was cake:

rhubarb-cheese-cake with sour cream


And then we did the unthinkable: today at lunch, we turned down Ice Cream for dessert.
We made sure that it would be the first thing we ate when we got back into town tonight, though.

If there is one thing that is never missing at this heavenly place on earth: it's food. And yet, Mama is always worried that we may go hungry.

Unfortunately, the six miles in did two days ago were really hard on my IT band and I have to take it really easy for the next few days. I had this grand plan to go for a run on Sunday morning - without having to fear to get lost - but I had to postpone it. There has been some limping around and R.I.C.E. around here. At least I will get to come up with some cross training over the next few days.

Now its time for bed.

More tomorrow.

Source

What did you do all weekend?

Do you have a place that you consider a piece of heaven, too?

How do you cross train when you are injured? Do you have any fun exercises for upper body strength for me to try out?

No comments:

Post a Comment