Thursday, January 9, 2014

Things are getting serious.

Okay, here it goes. Remember how I've been whining about not being able to run for almost 6 months? (If not, please go back and catch up on every time I complained about it. It will be excellent use of your precious time.)

Source


At the end of November, when we were in Dresden, I did my first steps on the treadmill at the hotel (with the best breakfast ever! Yes, Nick, I have to keep saying it). Since then, I have slowly been adding "distance" (we are talking from half a mile to a mile, then to a mile and a half... You get the idea.) and "speed" (trying to be faster than 15 mins/mile).

Source

On January 1, I ran my first 3 miles without walking breaks (yay!) and since it felt good, I did the same thing again, and again, and again... 

Monday, on the way to school, I thought about the half marathon again. Remember how I signed up for that just shortly before I crumbled my old bones?

Source


Anyhow, I decided to just try to do it and you will have the pleasure of listening to all of my running stories until then - and after.

I'm sticking to one of Hal Higdon's training schedules that is available online here. It was recommended to me by the sweet hungryrunnergirl and I completely trust her judgement, because she is not only an amazing runner, but also an incredibly nice person, who takes the time in order to help idiots like me to find a good training plan.

I will be working with the Novice2 plan, because it seems the best for me at this point. It consists of 12 weeks with a good number of 3 mile runs (my current comfortable distance), long runs on weekends, and cross training. It's overall a very conservative plan that focuses more on being able to finish the race, rather than running a sub 1:30. Being able to finish, that is exactly what I am looking for.

Source


On Sunday, I did a 4 mile run (at the usual slow pace: 9:35, 9:34, 9:10, 9:04). Since the training plan begins with a rest day, I just took that one on Monday. For Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, there are 3mile runs on the schedule, followed by a rest day, and a 4mile run on Saturday. Cross training is on Sunday, which works out great for me.

However, as I go along, I will modify the plan a little bit, I'm sure and keep you posted about the changes I am making - both for you to know and for me to remember what I actually did. I think it may be a good idea to do a weekly post that looks back at the original plan and what modifications I made.

Happy Thursday everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment