Sunday, November 3, 2013

Exploded Apples and Adventure Sunday

Hello hello!

It's been two terrific days here in Berlin, let me tell you that.

Yesterday, I spent most of the day cleaning the apartment, doing groceries, and then cooking dinner. We had two friends over last night and I had planned a meal that would fit this cold fall weather. So I made a hearty vegetable/cheese soup with plain croutons, baguette with herb butter, "Maasdamer" cheese, or salmon.

All went well until I put the dessert in the oven. Not only did the circuit blow and turn off the entire stove, it also did not cook as it should have. I had the great idea to stuff apples and bake them. It's a traditional thing to eat here (no worries, I didn't make up a recipe) and I am telling you, if you pour vanilla sauce over it, it will be one of the greatest things you could ever eat.
Unfortunately though, the dessert exploded. I'm not even exaggerating. The apples completely blew up.  I have made this dessert so many times, but I have never seen anything like it. It was embarrassing to say the least.

Source


So we had apple "sauce" instead, because that's all that was left. It tasted fine, but I feel like I should not touch the oven or stove for quite a while. Nothing good comes out of it if I do that.

Nick, I hope you are prepared for days and weeks of sandwiches, candy, and ice cream.

Today, I went to the gym and tried to get a good workout in before we headed out for the day. Do you guys work on your abs a lot? I feel like I have been working so much on those darn muscles, but nothing is happening. I still look like a blob. Is that normal? Am I doing it wrong? (Of course, all the candy I eat can't have anything to do with this. That's impossible.)

Anyhow, we went on a wonderful trip today.

We took the train to go to one of the big flea markets here in Berlin. The one we went to is close to where the Wall used to be. The place is called "Mauerpark" and you can read about it here.






You can get terrific food at the market. Tons of different fresh cooked meals are offered there and the smells are incredible. However, I decided to get a bag of different fresh licorice. So good!

We weren't the only people who decided to go there, so at some point, Nick and I had done enough walking cramped between hundreds of people and decided to explore the surrounding area. Berlin has many, many street performers. You see them on almost every corner and of course, there were also numerous people singing and playing instruments right where we were today. One of them, we really liked and bought his CD right then and there. We haven't listened to it yet, but I think it was a great purchase. The guy's music was wonderful.



Afterwards, we went to Alexanderplatz, grabbed some coffee, and proceeded to the movie theater at Potsdamer Platz to watch "Gravity" in 3D. Have you seen it? I don't want to take anything away, so I am just going to tell you that it was interesting and different from anything I've ever seen. That's all.

Source


It is days like this that I love the most. When we get to spend time together and explore our surroundings. Walking around the city on a nice fall day, enjoying each other's company, seeing interesting things - it doesn't get better than that.


... and swings make it even better!







No comments:

Post a Comment